October 5

Reflection on the Collaboration Zone

So this year has been a complete whirlwind as the CZ has been introduced to the  library.  I have struggled to keep up with my schedule, sometimes watching in horror as a class comes in expecting something from me, and I have no idea what it is!   I told a good friend I feel like diversifying my library has diversified my brain!  Having the CZ  has been a HUGE success,  The space is used almost every day almost every period.  Students really like working there and teachers are beginning to utilize it creatively.  The drama teacher sends students down to block scenes, AP Human Geography blogs each week,  U.S. History students research essential questions, and the creative writing class meets to share their work on the “big screen”.    I may have a group in the library checking out books and only 3 students in the CZ blogging, but those 3 students may need as much, if not more help than the entire class.  Add individual students coming down for various reasons, and I am definitely diversified!   There is now a  large whiteboard calendar in the CZ to help with scheduling, and I still write it on my main library calendar to help me keep track, but sometimes my brain doesn’t register what type of support all of these students will need and the result is me overextending myself.

I like to be in control of everything going on around me, and that is going to  have to change.  As the library continues to shift….. I feel like we are going to have more Collaboration Zones, more Creation Stations, more innovative spaces where groups and classes are working on very diverse projects, thus making my diversified brain more…..diversified.

Here are 3 new strategies I’m going to use to help myself cope:

1)  add signage to guide students (instructions, log in information etc…) when I’m not available.

2) create screen-casts students can watch to answer some of their own questions.

3) use colored highlighters on our scheduling calendar to indicate classes in the main library area, the CZ, or me going out to visit a classroom.

I’ll post about our Game Room next….oh dear.

Posted October 5, 2014 by jwebbschs in category Collaboration Zone, Uncategorized

About the Author

Library Media Specialist for 15 years. NBCT.

2 thoughts on “Reflection on the Collaboration Zone

1. Kathy Mansfield

This is so exciting to watch as it develops! Have you shared your blog posts with other Shelby County librarians?

Reply